The foodie's challenge

The challenge set for me is this. Eat at all top 100 restaurants as decided by Gourmet Traveller in 2007. Completion deadline: mid-January 2009. That's two years in which to dine at each of the 100 restaurants chosen by Gourmet Traveller in their 2007 restaurant guide. Quite a challenge when you consider that these restaurants are not all located in our country's capital cities. Many are in regional centres. Join me on my journey!

Current tally: 55 out of 100 dining experiences completed. More posts to come.

Please note, that the views expressed herein are those only of the author. They are only opinions, and the author recognises that others may disagree.

Friday, October 5, 2007

Sean's Panaroma, Sydney

This is perhaps one of my top five restaurants in Australia.

I have been here a number of times. I have dined here for lunch and dinner. I have dined here with a lover, with friends, even with my parents. No matter what the occasion, it has been exceptional. The food and the service are both excellent. The floor staff know the menu and can answer all your questions. They are helpful in every way, whether it's an enquiry about the organic butter, or to ask what a finger lime is. The food is exquisite, yet simple. The quality of the produce is fantastic and I've never been disappointed. Every detail from the bread to the wine list is just right. I can't go past the duck liver pate with pulled bread and sweet and sour onions to start, and then pretty much anything from the blackboard menu to follow. It's also rare that one of a chef's signature dishes is a vegetarian pasta. Yet, Sean's linguine with shredded rocket, lemon, chilli and parmesan is always on the menu and always hits the spot. Sean Moran and his team have created a wonderful balance at Sean's Panaroma. They've mixed great, yet simple flavours with a relaxed atmoshphere that suits the glorious surrounds. The view over North Bondi is great. Yet even if you're there at night, the sea urchin candleholders and the beautiful roses will captivate. I can't wait to go back again, and again, and again.

Also, don't miss Sean Moran's cookbook: Let it Simmer. It has all of his great recipes and they're simple to follow. I have turned my hand at the signature linguine and the skirt steak, marinated and seared rare with great success.

Sean's Panaroma is at 270 Campbell Pde, Bondi Beach 02 9365 4924

No comments: