The foodie's challenge

The challenge set for me is this. Eat at all top 100 restaurants as decided by Gourmet Traveller in 2007. Completion deadline: mid-January 2009. That's two years in which to dine at each of the 100 restaurants chosen by Gourmet Traveller in their 2007 restaurant guide. Quite a challenge when you consider that these restaurants are not all located in our country's capital cities. Many are in regional centres. Join me on my journey!

Current tally: 55 out of 100 dining experiences completed. More posts to come.

Please note, that the views expressed herein are those only of the author. They are only opinions, and the author recognises that others may disagree.

Saturday, October 6, 2007

Icebergs Dining Room and Bar, Sydney

I should preface the comments that follow by saying that I have only eaten at Icebergs Dining Room and Bar once and it was over twelve months ago. However, I haven't been back (even though I'm a Bondi local) because I didn't enjoy the experience. Personally I wouldn't rate it in the top 100 restaurants in Australia. There are many other restaurants that didn't make the Gourmet Traveller list that I believe deserve the accolades more than Icebergs.

I found the service very pompous from the first moment. I went with a friend and we were greeted with "good evening madam", "this way to your table madam", "can I take your coat madam", etc. At the end of the day we are still in Bondi and I found the service way too pretentious. But then, that might appeal to some people. I would prefer for floor staff to be able to read their customers better and adapt their style of service to the individuals that dine with them.

The food I also found uninspiring and my salsa verde was so acidic that it killed the balance of flavours on my plate. So, no glowing recommendation from me.

The view of course is one of the best around. In the event that I ever go back to Icebergs, it will be because someone else has invited me there, it won't be at my instigation. However, if I do go back, I will update my review.

Icebergs Dining Room and Bar is at 1 Notts Ave, Bondi Beach 02 9365 9000.

No comments: